COVID-19 Update (19/08/20): Under the current circumstances, the Pupillage Support Grant Scheme has been subsumed into the Emergency Assistance Fund for Students and Pupils.
In 2016 the Inn launched a support scheme for members of the Inn who are suffering particular financial hardship during pupillage. The funds available each year are limited.
Criteria for applicants
In order to qualify for a Pupillage Support Grant you must be:
- a member of Middle Temple;
- have been awarded a pupillage where you will be undertaking work which is principally publicly funded; and
- in receipt of a pupillage award no greater than £20,000 p.a. for London and £17,500 p.a. for outside of London.
All applications for support during pupillage should now be directed to the Emergency Assistance Fund for Students and Pupils. More information can be found by clicking here.
Reference from Chambers
Applications must be supported by your Pupillage Provider who should fill out the form on the right hand side of the page entitled "Chambers Reference Form". It must be filled out by your Head of Chambers, Head of Pupillage or Senior Clerk.
The form asks your Pupillage Provider to confirm the following details:
- the start date of the pupillage;
- the level of financial support;
- the likely income of the pupil during the second six; and
- chambers arrangements regarding travelling expenses
The letter can be submitted with your application or alternatively sent directly to the Inn, by email to the address below. Your application will not be considered without a Chambers Reference form.
If you have any questions please contact Madeleine Cirdei, the Scholarships Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com with Pupillage Support Grant Application in the subject line.