Middle Temple arranges Call ceremonies four times every year. They are traditionally held on the second Thursday in March and October and the fourth Thursday in July and November. In recent years, we have added additional ceremonies in July and November to accommodate student numbers.
Students can be Called to the Bar once they have successfully completed the Bar Professional Training Course and been credited with 12 Qualifying Sessions. The 12 QS must be completed during a period of no more than five years ending on the date on which that person is Called to the Bar.
Applications can be submitted before BPTC results have been confirmed, and before all Qualifying Sessions have been completed, but Call to the Bar may only take place when all pre-conditions are met.
Specially Qualified Applicants
Specially Qualified Applicants (Transferring Solicitors, Qualified Lawyers, Legal Academics, etc.) can be Called to the Bar once they have made a successful application to the Qualifications Committee of the Bar Standards Board for Call to the Bar of England and Wales, completed the Bar Transfer Test if required, and joined the Inn.
Call Ceremonies in 2020
- Hilary Call - 6pm, Thursday 12 March 2020
- Trinity A Call - 1 pm, Wednesday 22 July 2020
- Trinity B Call - 6 pm, Wednesday 22 July 2020
- Trinity C Call - 1 pm, Thursday 23 July 2020
- Trinity D Call - 6 pm, Thursday 23 July 2020
- Trinity E Call - 6 pm, Thursday 8 October 2020
- Michaelmas A Call - 1 pm, Wednesday 25 November 2020
- Michaelmas B Call - 6 pm, Wednesday 25 November 2020
- Michaelmas C Call - 1 pm, Thursday 26 November 2020
- Michaelmas D Call - 6 pm, Thursday 26 November 2020
Application for Call
You must make an application to be Called - you are not automatically assigned to be Called.
The application form for Hilary Call will be available from this website in late January (with a deadline in mid-February). Please click here to read the accompanying guidelines. In the meantime you can request Call references, providing you have read the requirements in the guidelines.
Forms for Trinity and Michaelmas Calls will be available from April (with deadlines in late May and August respectively).